Posted to alt.home.repair
Arthur Shapiro Arthur Shapiro is offline

Default Interior Door Grief

In article , wrote:

The bigger question is what bothers the OP about dealing with a REAL
lumber-yard or door dealer in his immediate area - where he can
actually MEASURE what is in stock - and where "custom" sizes are often
virtually the same price as standard size doors on an "order in"
basis.

The lumber yards in this immediate area aren't that good, and most stuff is
special-order.

i went down to Home Depot and looked at slab doors (which I don't want)
because that's what was in stock prehung. The framing was rather scanty, and
they would (barely) fit in my too-small space. I gather - with no empirical
proof other than the response of a couple Internet vendors - that the framing
on better hardwood doors is slightly thicker.

Another respondent asked why I wanted new doors. Looks - the cheap slab
hollow-core doors aren't very appealing. And the 2 1/2" backset has proven to
be a real pain as the original locksets (1968 house) wear out and have to be
replaced. I've had to mill wood circles of the appropriate diameter, glue
them in, and then cut the same sized hole 1/8" over. What a bloody nuisance.

Anyway, this isn't urgent so perhaps as I have reason to be in the
neighborhood of a good lumberyard with decent in-house stock I'll check out
the better stuff, armed with a tape measure. Thanks to everyone for the
opinions.

Art