Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Town vs. Homeowner. Town loses.

On 8/15/2011 2:20 PM, chaniarts wrote:
On 8/15/2011 10:59 AM, dpb wrote:
On 8/15/2011 12:15 PM, chaniarts wrote:

in my area, as long as you leave 1 wall intact, you can raze the entire
rest of the building and expand the footprint to whatever you want, as
long as it meets zoning codes.

But, of course, that was the whole point here--it did _not_ meet zoning
setback reqm'ts...

actually no. existing structures, which if it has 1 wall, it is, are
grandfathered in as a nonconforming legal lot. the NEW parts, if any,
can't be any closer, but if it already exists in place, the
non-conforming parts don't have to be removed.

That may be so in your location; that wasn't what I was commenting on.

I was pointing out that that grandfathering may not be so in the
jurisdiction in question. W/O the actual ordinances, it's unknowable.
Apparently at least the town thought it wasn't; again w/o the actual
court ruling it's not possible from the article to know the grounds on
which the plaintiff won.