Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Town vs. Homeowner. Town loses.

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:15:24 -0700, chaniarts
wrote:

it doesn't say anything about expansion. homeowner claimed it was 8.5'
from property line, but was really 3'. was granted a permit without
verification, which wasn't discovered until 5 years later. that's when
it all started.

in my area, as long as you leave 1 wall intact, you can raze the entire
rest of the building and expand the footprint to whatever you want, as
long as it meets zoning codes.

Might be height. Looks like he added up.
Maybe zoned for single-story.
But I don't know.
Looks like the township had a case if they followed the book and
didn't pile on the guy.
On that "height" subject I've seen neighborhoods where they tore down
nice ranches or bungalows and put up McMansion monstrosities.
Near my dentist's office in Park Ridge, IL there's a nice older home
with McMansions on both sides.
Totally blocked out his light on the south and north.
It's his house that looks "normal" there.
Makes me happy that can't happen to me, just because of dumb luck..
Flippers probably.
Good chance a lot of the McMansions are in foreclosure, but that's a
guess.
I see quite a few that look unoccupied.

--Vic