Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Default Minifon P55 wire recorder , pocket size of mid 1950s

N_Cook wrote:

Adrian Tuddenham wrote in message
valid.invalid...
N_Cook wrote:

I've just noticed that the peanut valves are Mullard make , in a German

made
recorder

I wondr if they were sent over here without valves, so as to avoid an
import tax? I believe Grundig were caught many years ago doing
something like that and heavily fined.

A bit of a mindslip, I was also looking at some miniature 1 inch display
diameter Mullard CRTs also today. The Minifon peanuts were England make but
HIVAC. As this is rebadged EMI Emidicta then perhaps the sales tax dodge.

I think some manufacturers sent stuff into England without the valves,
so it wasn't a working piece of equipment. Then, when they put the
valves in and tested it, they could claim it was "Made in England"; so
they didn't pay luxury import tax (or whatever the tax was at the time).

I removed the steel circlip and steel washer , both now replaced without
breaking as surface rust only. Circlip holding that quadrant arm in place
and now got that slideway working, latching in both senses. To replace the
drive band needs the "capstan" cylinder anchor, near that point, removing.
Interesting slip clutch inside the steel cylinder , inferred, not seen. One
of those spring clutches , freewheels one way and low take-up of torque the
other way.

My recollection is that only one bearing needs to be removed to put a
new drive belt on the capstan drive cylinder - and it was the opposite
one from the one I first removed.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk