Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Democracy in Action

Swingman wrote in
:

Sounds like you got in on the beginning of the end ... ;0

You know who taught the two undergraduate physics courses I took in
college?

Clarence Zener, the Dean of the College of Science at that time at
Texas A&M University ... he personally taught both those undergraduate
courses, as did the department heads in Chemistry and Mathematics.

DAGS Dr Zener ...

Apparently students today have no chance of deriving the benefit from
having a physicist of that eminence teach undergraduate classes. At
one time it was an accepted practice.

Sorry, but IMO it's just more of the same with regard to the
systematic slide into mediocrity that is creeping into all levels of
education in this country.

I think that we are forgetting that scientific brilliance as recognized
in various ways does not guarantee teaching excellence. Overbeek was
great both as scientist and teacher (Physical Chemistry, Utrecht), van
Deenen (Biochemistry, Utrecht) another. But the guy teaching Nuclear
Physics was a joke. Although, the syllabus was fine, and he read a
chapter every lecture, just about literally, advancing the overhead
projector's endless copy of the syllabus.

--
Best regards
Han