Posted to alt.home.repair

Default May I compare my well water setup to yours (3,094 usable gallons)

On Aug 15, 2:02*am, DD_BobK wrote:
In article , SF Man
wrote:
Only two of the pool pumps are constantly running during the day. It's
useless to run them at night because of the solar heating panels (they'd be
solar cooling panels at night). So, they have to run during the day. One
pump is for the fancy cleaning system; and the other pump is for the
filter. Both must run at the same time (2.2 horsepower each). They run
about 15 hours a day. I really have no choice in that matter,
unfortunately, except to put up about 50K dollars and go solar with about
15 KW of panels.

SF Man-

I missed your description of your pool pumps' duty cycles.

Having lived in SoCal homes with pools for nearly 30 years (bummer, I
know)......
there is no way you need to run two *pumps (2+ hp) *for 15 hours per
day to keep the pool clean.

It makes no sense to run your solar panels 15 hrs per day.

Your entire setup is a ridiculous waste of energy.

cheers
Bob

I missed the pool pump part. I agree it would have to be one
hell of a pool to need two 2+hp pumps runningg 15 hours
a day to keep it clean. And I think he said he was paying
25c per kwh for electricity.

48,000 gallon pool here, DE filter and it can be kept clean
with two 1 hp pumps. One is the main one and it needs to
run about 6 hours a day. The other is the Polaris cleaner
booster pump and it runs about 1/3 of that time,
averageing maybe 2 or 3 hours a day. It actually
runs the full 6 hours, but only every second or third
day.

It's actually running more now because it's now set
up for solar heat. But without needing that, the
above schedule worked fine. Of course it does
depend on the environment, what's around to
blow into the pool, usage, etc.

I'd be interested in knowing if he's tried backing
off the amount of filtering. That's what I did.
The general rule of thumb is that the filtering
should move water equal to the pool volume
each day. But found out I could get away
with less than that.