Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Democracy in Action

On 8/14/2011 10:44 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 22:47:08 -0400, wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 13:13:58 -0500, wrote:

On 8/13/2011 9:40 AM, Leon wrote:

Totally agree with that article you posted the link to, especially the
Honors College comments, The students get first pick at the professors
and have much smaller more personal classes.

It's hard to believe that 70% of the undergraduate classes at most
universities are now taught by outsourced, "paid-by-the-course", adjunct
professors!

A sad state of affairs ... this corporate model of teaching was unheard
of in my day.

It's not new. I taught a senior level CS course and a graduate level MIS
course 30 years ago. At one point I asked the dean if I taught all the
required courses, if I got my masters (I only have a BS). He didn't like the
question.

Sounds like you got in on the beginning of the end ... ;0

You know who taught the two undergraduate physics courses I took in college?

Clarence Zener, the Dean of the College of Science at that time at Texas
A&M University ... he personally taught both those undergraduate
courses, as did the department heads in Chemistry and Mathematics.

DAGS Dr Zener ...

Apparently students today have no chance of deriving the benefit from
having a physicist of that eminence teach undergraduate classes. At one
time it was an accepted practice.

Sorry, but IMO it's just more of the same with regard to the systematic
slide into mediocrity that is creeping into all levels of education in
this country.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010