Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default Plasterboard the wrong way around

"geraldthehamster" wrote in message
On 14 Aug, 23:54, "Tim W" wrote:

Last time I used it the principle difference was that the edge was
tapered,
on one side only. This was to accommodate the nasty european habit of
taping
the join, filling the taper but not skimming the whole face, just
painting
or papering onto the plasterboard. In British practice it meant that if
you
nailed the edge of the board with it the wrong way round you got a nail
head
through the skim, or a piece of broken plasterboard.

I suggest you don't buy tapered board if you're going to skim it.

I chose to use tapered when lining this place with isulation backed boards-
meant I could get a proper taped joint with thick scrim/tape and plenty
joint cement - and no problems with "undulations" or tape "poking through"
when skimming after.

YMMV

Jim K