Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Another wheel bearing question

"Pete Keillor" wrote

Just got a new small boat trailer (with a little jon boat) with oil
bath bearings. The caps are clear plastic and you can see the oil in
there. I'm going to have to read up on them. Supposedly they're
great for boat trailer service.

Pete Keillor

To ME, boat trailer bearings depend on some very basics. In my situation, I
took my boat and trailer on an 80 mile round trip, 65 freeway speed.
Usually, it's a 15 mile round trip to the local lake at 40 mph tops. Lots
of guys just take their boats on short jaunts, and not at high speeds.
Those little tires really spin at 70 mph behind a truck on the freeway. So,
even a boat trailer with worn or loose bearings would last a very long time
at low speeds, and minimal distances. I don't like to operate like that,
though. This trip, which was the furtherest I have gone from home, I
stopped by and got a spare wheel and tire. May come in handy, mebbe
not..... But having "stuff" right is just as easy as ignoring it and
running it into the ground and/or ditch, and less expensive, too.

Some boats are very light weight, some heavier, and that makes a LOT of
difference.

The 80 mile trip up the mountain sucked. The boat ran crappy at the 9,000+
elevation, far higher than it was jetted and tuned for. The fish weren't
biting, and all we caught were chub. But, we were going for splake, and
chub is good splake bait. It was cold and windy and whitecapping, with the
spray making it even colder. Then the Sikorsky S-64 came in and dusted us
with a lot of mist. But it was better than working. But only a little.

Back to reality on the containers at 0600 tomorrow.

Steve