Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another wheel bearing question

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:17:16 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

wrote

I'd initially installed it with the normal "tighen then back it off"
method. Luckily I did some web-reading and tightened it up before any
harm was done. The nut wasnt the usual castellated split pin style, it
was like a nylock nut but without the nylon.

A "stover" nut - officially known as a "prevailing torque" nut.

So, is a castle nut with slices for a cotter pin a stover nut? I know they
make castle nuts with no slits, and IIRC, some are kind of crimped to hold
and resist backoff.

I like stumping the guys at Ace, and would like to have a new word du jour.

So, is a slotted castle a stover? Universally?

Steve

No, a SLOTTED castle nut is generally NOT a stover.
A "Stover" is a type of "prevailing torque" nut, along with fibre-lock
and ny-loc nuts. They do not use cotter pins.