Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_3_] Tim W[_3_] is offline

Default Plasterboard the wrong way around

"polygonum" wrote in message
news .....

Differences a

The actual paper - absorbency, smoothness, etc.
Voids under the paper (I think they make it white side down so any air
bubbles will be under the grey side).
How the paper wraps - it is double-thickness near the edges on the grey
side.

But as half the plasterers who are asked seem to get it wrong, I'd imagine
a lot of plasterboard has been fitted and plastered the wrong way round.
And in non-critical situations it probably makes very little real
difference.

Last time I used it the principle difference was that the edge was tapered,
on one side only. This was to accommodate the nasty european habit of taping
the join, filling the taper but not skimming the whole face, just painting
or papering onto the plasterboard. In British practice it meant that if you
nailed the edge of the board with it the wrong way round you got a nail head
through the skim, or a piece of broken plasterboard.

Tim W