Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Difference in NiCad replacement batteries

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
news
I have yet to see data, numbers, and reproduceable tests that
demonstrate memory effect. What I have seen are problems with
electrolyte loss, caused by overcharging and subsequent venting, that
mimick the problem. Incidentally, I found this by carefully weighing
the better before and after overcharging. It's not much loss, but
it's always present.

Reports on "memory effect" go back almost 50 years to the introduction of
cordless toothbrushes, which were commonly used briefly before being
recharged. They would (supposedly) lose capacity.

Then people whose toothbrushes were accidentally activated in their luggage
and thoroughly run down recovered most of their capacity (the toothbrushes,
not the people). GE supposedly discovered the cause of memory effect
(electrode crystallization), but no cells that addressed the problem were
ever manufactured, that I know of.