Posted to alt.home.repair

Default May I compare my well water setup to yours (3,094 usable gallons)

On Aug 13, 11:59*pm, SF Man wrote:
On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 18:18:49 -0700, Pat wrote:
Your well pump can pump 5 gallons per minute.
Your well can supply half a gallon per minute or 720 gallons per day.

It's even worse than that because it shuts off every few minutes; then it
waits exactly 1/2 hour, and then kicks on again.

No one has commented on this yet and I think it could
be important. How exactly does it
shut off and wait 30 mins? The issue here is normally
a well pump is designed to run continously and not
run out of water. But since you have those huge tanks
it appears this well was set up to accomodate low flow
from the start. If so, it may have some special mechanism
to cycle the pump. So some thoughts:

A - If it has some special cycling arrangement, is it
possible that is what's screwed up and it might be
short cycling even though the well has not really
run out of water?

B - If doesn't have some special cycling arrangement,
what is shutting it off and keeping it off for 30 mins?
If it's that the pump runs dry and is overheating, I'd
think you'd want to institute some kind of cycling
system, perhaps with a timer, to stop that from
happening. I doubt a submersible pump likes to
run dry, overheat, shutdown. It relies on the water
to cool it.