Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mac Davis Mac Davis is offline

Default Turning tools

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:24:44 -0400, Gerald Ross
wrote:
snip
A minority dissent:

I have been turning for about 10 years, mainly bowls. I own three
"grinders" but have never used one for sharpening turning tools. I
use a 1" belt sander with a blue zirconia belt with the small sanding
rest set at the angle I use. Has always worked great for me.
Incidentally, no lessons either. Maybe that is the reason I do things
differently.

I use a 1" x 40something" belt grinder for scrapers.. Works really
well with the table at a negative angle and the scrapers sharpened
"upside down"...
I use a low speed grinder with the funky white wheel for gouges with
the EZgrind jig...

OTOH, I use mostly carbide tools now so my bowl gouges last a LOT
longer..