Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Drywall Joints Showing - Sometimes

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 12:19:06 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

GMT, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , Sonny wrote:
You painted over joint compound and you painted over the paper of/on
the drywall, i.e., 2 different surfaces, hence the 2 different texture
results. The paper surface raised, a tad, when it was wet by the
paint, causing the difference in appearance/result. It is recommended
you compound over the whole of the drywall sheet,

Recommended by whom? You?

not just the taped
edges, so that the whole surface, to be painted, is uniform in/of
surface material. By applying compound over the whole of the drywall
(minimum extra work),

"Minimum extra work"? You've got to be kidding. Clearly, you've never actually
done that.

the painting results will be uniform.
Otherwise, to avoid the difference/results you describe, you would
need to apply at least 2 coats of primer. Applying the extra skin of
drywall compound is easier and cheaper, than applying the extra
primer.

What planet do you live on, where applying drywall compound is easier than
applying paint?

I'm on the same planet. Once I get the wall where I want it, the
last coat gets thinned and applied [nearly squeegeed] with a 12"
knife. It takes me [who only does drywall every few years] less time
to apply than rolling primer, and cleanup is counted as zero because I
already had those tools out. [I still prime before painting-- but I
like the finish doing the whole wall gives me]

I learned 30 years ago it from a guy who used a 18-20" knife to do it.
He'd go into a room in the morning, and when he emerged for lunch
you'd think it had been primed. I'm happy to finish a room in
2 weeks.

I've done similar on whole walls to make old walls with bad paint jobs
look flat-new.
First spackle and sand nail-holes and dings.
Then knife the compound firmly all over the wall.
Takes no skill at all.
Looks mottled.
A fast go-over with a mesh sander hardly raises any dust.
There's "skim coating" and there's "skim coating."
I'd guess that on new drywall you're basically filling the pores.
But for new drywall if the OP primes and uses a roller with decent nap
he won't see well-done joints.

--Vic