Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Buying a new truck

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 23:17:25 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

wrote

Interestingly, the dealership I was taking my car to, told me to take it
somewhere else because they would be too expensive for an exhaust system.
They
were sure right![*] So I did, and have been ever since. ;-)

With rare exception, dealers cost more than a good independent shop. I
really hate going to a dealer for service and only use them for warranty
work or the occasional deal they may offer on oil changes. Of course, once
they get you in there they want to sell other services.

The dealer where I lived before was run by a best friend, so no one ever
up-sold me. ;-) I'd get a loaner whenever the cars were in for service, too.
After I moved here, I had no idea who to go to, so continued going to the
dealer. I've now found someone else I can trust (and even more convenient),
so don't go back to the dealer. I'll probably take my wife's car back there
for tires in a couple of weeks, though.

As a forinstance: Dealer I bought my last two cars from says you should get
the fuel injector cleaning every year @ $129. Two cars would cost me $258 a
year. I've never had an injector problem in many years of driving so I'm
thousands of dollars ahead of taking their advice.

Yeah, I don't buy any of that crap either. I do have the transmissions
serviced on the schedule, though.