Posted to alt.home.repair
Ivan[_8_] Ivan[_8_] is offline

Default Some items in refrigerator are freezing

On Aug 12, 4:52*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Every fridge I've serviced, the temp control is in
refrigerator section. Other than that, sounds like a good
fix.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Chip C" wrote in message

Weird coincidence, the fridge part of our bottom-freezer
"dual temp"
Maytag has been getting too cold over the past week, too.
While I was
coming up with an improbable, over-complicated explanation
about
condensation and evaporative cooling, my wife took it apart
and
figured it out.

On this model, the airflow from the freezer into the fridge
is
moderated by a rectangular spring-loaded damper, way at the
top back
of the compartment, which is moved by a plunger driven by a
mechanical
thermostatic mechanism offset by the fridge's temp dial.
This is all
hidden behind plastic bezels.

What had happened was the damper's spring had come unhooked
and the
damper was hanging wide open, allowing freezer air to flow
freely into
the fridge.

(On these models the freezer has its own temp dial, which
controls the
actual compressor cycle; so no matter how we dialed the
fridge the
compressor kept running and freezing both compartments. On a
single-
dial appliance, *turning down the dial will reduce
compressor
operation, which is why your tenants can get it into a
not-cold-enough
mode if they dial it down enough.)

My wife hooked it back up (without dropping it into the air
channel,
as I would have) and hey presto, back to normal.

Chip C
Toronto

Sears just fixed a similar problem in our Kenmore. Don't know what
they did, as only my housemate was at home.

BUT, fridge started making funny noises later that day. They were
intermittent, so I put off calling for service. Last night, the
fridge and freezer temp began to shoot up. We called Sears at 11:30
PM, and a live human answered, promising service for today, Saturday,
while simultaneously saying that someone would call the day before, to
confirm. We pointed out that there were now only 10 minutes left in
"the day before," and the person on the phone finally seemed to
understand and promised someone would be here this afternoon.

About 6 AM today, Sears sent me an e=-mail saying that my fridge would
be fixed....Monday morning. And that "You'll get a confirmation call
the day before."

So much for all the food in there!