Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mac Davis Mac Davis is offline

Default Turning tools

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 17:26:50 -0400, Anon Ymous
wrote:
No idea about the hot, sexy tools from Stone Mountain, but I agree
with the Harbor Freight set..

Don't get the one that's like $20 on sale, it's worth about $10..
The one that goes on sale for $40 is pretty good steel with nice
handles.. These are as good as any that I'd recommend to a new turner
until they've mastered basic sharpening..
You can use up a $100 gouge really fast if you try learning to sharpen
with it..
I'm a full time turner and use what most folks consider "cheap"
tools...Mostly from Penn State..
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/wo...ing-tools.html

I do recommend an inexpensive set of chisles so you can get familiar
with the basic tools: gouge, skew, parting tool, etc...
Get the set from HF or one like this:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHSS8.html

Add individual tools as your ability and type of projects grow: Bowl
gouges, scrapers, hollowing tools, etc..

Ask LOTS of questions here and check out some of the turning videos on
utube..
Is this a wood turning forum or a "Hot Sexy video" forum? What a bunch
of junk!

In case there are any turners reading I'll try a post. Does anyone have
any experience with the Stone Mountain turning tools sold by Peachtree
Woodworking Supply?

Will they do a good job?
Suggestions for a set?

I'm a beginner turner and would like a decent quality set of tools that
I can grow into.

Thanks!