Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Broadband.

harryagain wrote:
Is there any technical reason why broadband from say BT sgould be faster
then broadband from say AOL?
Or is it all down to geography?
If I changed providers could it be any faster/better?

Maybe. The speed depends mostly on your distance from the exchange,
though old wiring from the exchange to you can have an effect.

I use BT, in spite of the extra cost, because they can't do the buck
passing that other ISPs have been known to try. *All* the stuff in the
circuit is theirs, from the server to the router.

Some prefer cable companies,lke Virgin, and if you're in their area,
it's faster than phone company broadband.

My broadband connection keeps dropping out, more and more recently. My
neighbour is unaffected this way.
Sometimes it's nearly as slow as dialup was.
I live in a rural area, we only had broadband about five years ago.

Ask for a line test, but be aware that if it shows your line to be
clear, you may be charged for it.

I have AOL BTW. It's ****e. Don't buy.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=aohell

--