Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Home Safe

On Aug 9, 9:40*pm, Tom yep@yep wrote:
Hi, all ..

Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to find a medium size, non-
electronic safe for storing documents, titles, family keepsakes,

cash, coins, gold nuggets (I wish), diamonds (I wish), that sort of
stuff. I don't need a five footer; no rifles or shotguns that I

need to store (I keep mine under the bed; no kids).

My present safe is a mechanical dial-turning thingy (Sentry) with a
special round key for the handle. The safe is bolted to the

concrete foundation. I'm happy with it, but it's too small.

I've looked around on the Web for quite a while, with not much success.
My research tells me that it's not hard to break into an

electronic safe, even for a novice with just a screwdriver and a piece of
wire.

The safe will be in a corner, so it will be hard to get to the back of it
without breaking through a plaster wall. So the

screwdriver/wire thing with an electronic safe may be a little more
difficult. But I just want a spin dial, old-fashioned safe.

I've worked in defense companies with classified info for many a year,
and the mechanical safe approach was good enough for the DoD.

Why not me?

Tom

Good spam filters at Kendra, BTW, and Xnews uses news.1dial.com server,
whatever that is.

Should I just start dodging now? *8-) grin

@Tom:

You want a burglary rated safe... Not the toy safes that provide a
tiny bit
of fire protection for documents... If you have many documents you
want
to keep safe from risk of fire, store them in a Sentry safe you keep
inside
the burglary rated safe as fire inserts for professional safes get
very pricey...

Real safes with real electronic combo locks are very secure, again
they
are not the same thing as you would have installed on a toy safe...

As other people here have suggested pay a visit to several local
locksmiths,
you will find one or more of them has a showroom full of adopted safes
that
they have collected and have up for sale...

~~ Evan