Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Buying a new truck

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:23:14 GMT, (Doug
Miller) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 01:45:21 GMT,
(Doug
Miller) wrote:

It doesn't matter HOW you're paying. It's still not a sound financial
decision. Let someone *else* pay the depreciation, and buy the car after it's
lost 1/3 to 1/2 of its value.

May as well let it loose 75% of it's value, or more.

That depends largely on how skilled you are at making your own repairs. I've
been doing the vast majority of my own service for 35 years (including engine
and transmission rebuilds), so buying older, high-mileage vehicles does not
daunt me. The newest used car I've ever bought was five years old; the oldest,
nineteen. Average about ten.

With any used vehicle, there's a point where cost of repair has a greater
influence on total cost of ownership than does the initial purchase cost. If
you have to pay someone else to do your repairs, that point comes earlier in
the vehicle's life. For those folks who can't do their own repairs, it's
likely to be somewhere around 40-50% depreciation. I'm quite content to buy at
75% depreciation, but then, I pay only the cost of parts for nearly all my
repairs.

Likewize - but gee, WHAT repairs??
By the time my 6 year old Chysler was 18 years old I had done a
valve/guide job, replaced the exhaust, and replaced the transmission,
as well as 2 complete sets of brakes.I replaced a few CV joint boots.
I think I rebuilt the alternator once, and replaced the timing belt
and water pump. That was IT.
My 1990 Aerostar had a trans front seal leak,transmission input shaft,
U-joints, and ball joints plus one exhaust system and about 4 or 5
sets of front brakes before I sold it at 11 years of age with over
240,000 km on it. (not counting the warranty replacement of the short
block because of a piston slap virtually from new) I had bought it
from my Dad, who bought it new.
My 1996 Mystique had a problem that turned on the check engine light
- bank 1 lean - that I chased for a couple months after I bought it at
age 6 years. Replaced intake gaskets and a few other things before I
found the defective vacuum hose that collapsed under high vacuum,
opening a crack that leaned out the engine.
Other than that, A/C reciever, trans oil pan gasket, engine mount,
lower strut bushings, brakes and a few electrical contact problems
(brake lights 3 times, heater once, right front door window once.
Thankfully not much - because it is a real PAIN to work on (2.5 L V6,
4 wheel disc brakes, etc. The antilock brakes/traction control has an
issue now - don't think I'll bother fixing it. - and can't forget -
the infamous "moosing" problem - solved by drilling a 3/16" hole in a
1/2" copper pipe cap and stuffing it into the hose to the IAC.

The 1995 TransSport was a totally different kettle of fish. You'd
think the darn thing was made in England - if you didn't open the hood
and fondle it's nuts about every other week it didn't feel good.
About the second worst vehicle I ever owned. Ball joints and front
wheel bearings lasted about as long as oil filters. CV Joints were
not much better. Oxygen sensors should have had wing-nuts on them and
the trim quality made my Chryslers look like Rolls Royces.