Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Large Twist Drills

"cncmillgil" wrote in message
On Aug 12, 12:35 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message

So my son asks me what the largest twist drill available is... I told
him
10 feet because they could make one for him.

But that got me to thinking... With a Morse Taper #4 or larger (they go
to Morse #7, right?), what is the largest twist drill you guys have seen
or actually own?

We're talking standard drills, not annular cutters or end mills, etc.

I've seen some at the Caterpillar plant in Aurora, IL that are 3"+
diameter.
But they would be metric, because Cat has been metric since the '70s.

--
Ed Huntress

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site:http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
Production Tapping:http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
VIDEOS:http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK:http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER:http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

at Cat? How bout the 24"shell mills on the dual opposing spindles-
Cincincy Horizontal - 60 taper go figure.
That is the BIGGEST damn place I've worked at.
No ****, 1/2hr to walk from one end to the other.

~g~

Lots of big stuff there. They probably have much larger drill bits, too, but
I remember the 3"+ ones as I walked past a line of big radial-arm drills.
They produced some impressive chips, too.

Did you work at the Aurora plant? My F-I-L, Glenn McKittrick, was QC Manager
of the machine shop. Some "shop."

--
Ed Huntress