Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Josepi[_19_] Josepi[_19_] is offline

Default Question: US 220 vs Aussie 220

239.6 volts in conjunction with the N.American world standard of 240v

1----------------------------
"Grumpy" wrote in message
. au...
The usual distribution system in Australia is 3 phase 415 volt, 50 Hertz to
the street, but each customer gets a phase to neutral to their house.
Phase to neutral is in fact not 220 volts but is more like 230 or 240 volts.
The number of customers on each phase is managed to maintain a reasonably
even load on each phase. Until recently it was difficult to get 3 phase 415
volt power to a private dwelling, but the increase in large air conditioning
split systems has made it relatively easy to get 3 phase.
2--------------------------
"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
Ok, thought I'd spelled it out, but didn't. Here's the blade welder specs:

220 volts
20 amp
60 Hz
1 phase
Instantaneous KVA 4
Continuous KVA 5 or .5, the potential decimal point being high enough it's
not clearly a decimal point. But if instantaneous means inrush, then maybe
.5 KVA continuous makes sense.

Sounds like I'd best find a local electrician that can give me a
definitive answer.
Or weld up a life time supply of blades before I go...G

Jon