Posted to uk.d-i-y
DavidM DavidM is offline

Default Protecting (varnish) Wallpaper in Bathroom

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 18:40:23 +0100, polygonum
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 15:44:03 +0100, DavidM
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 12:59:38 +0100, DavidM
wrote:

I've got a wall in a bathroom to paper, paper is spongeable but not
vinyl. It will need protecting from moisture.

Googling finds decorators varish, available in gloss, satin and matt,
will probably go for matt or maybe satin.

Does anyone have experience of his stuff, I've never used it before
and don't want to wreck the customers wallpaper? Any "gotchas" to look
out for. I normally use Solvite (powder, not ready mix) for paper
hanging, is this ok?

I've found this (Polyvine Decorators Varnish):

http://www.polyvine.com/shop/show/va...%20varnishes/6

but maybe someone has other recommendations?

anyone?

We have got some Polyvine water based varnish. It's OK, but not as a)
tough and; b) hard-surfaced as another company's water based floor seal.

I've not heard of people varnishing wallpaper except in emulation of
Victorian techniques.

The one in the link say "For interior emulsion wallpaper, fabric and
plaster work", so comparing it with a floor varnish is maybe unfair.

I'd not heard of varnishing wallpaper either until this customer
mentioned it, she's from Oz and apparently it's relatively common
there.