Mark

Default Anyone use CAD software to design projects?

CW wrote:

Try not to bottom post. It wastes peoples time scrolling past waht they have
already read.

Try not to top post. It's poor form and it wastes peoples time by having to
scroll up and down to see what's being addressed.

Instead edit what your not replying to then write your reply following what your
addressing.

Did you have your official Hail Autocad cd playing in the
background when you wrote this?

See? I have to scroll down to read what this remark is referencing, not to
mention having to guess what he's referencing. I don't see what would warrant
this type of remark. mayhaps I'm not looking hard enough? Point being no one
should have to guess.

Top posting is sloppy. Makes work for many at the convenience of the one.

Not to mention how the rest of this mail is confusing, I don't know if CW wrote
parts, if Frank wrote parts, or if there was a third person involved. Very poor
form.

(normally I would remove all the following text)

"Frank Shute" wrote in message

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:32:50 -0800, CW wrote:

Peformance has little to do with it, for 2D work there is not a lot
you can't do with it. With the hundreds of add-on packages there is
virtually nothing you can't do with it in terms of technical drawing
in the 2D, 3D/solid modelling sphere and NC.

NC? That has been my line of work for 15 years now. I have worked for a
numbe of shops in that time. None of which used Autocad. Why? Because, in
it's stock form, it won't do the job. Buy Autocad, buy an ad on CAM program,
hire a programer to turn it into a serious modeler. In the end, you have a
high price kluge. Why not, for the same or less money, buy a CADCAM package
that has all that, stock, and is a seamless system rather than something
peiced together?

Most draughtsmen cut their teeth on AutoCAD and are familiar with it
and it can be tailored to specific needs with add-ons which is why it
sells.

The familiearaity issue is some thing to think about if you have a business
that needs no more than Autocad can delever and you have a high enough emplo
yee turnover that minumum training is an advantage.

Reputation has nothing to do with it. Windows is bug infested and a
security nightmare but millions use it nevertheless because people know
there way around it - or think they do - and there are thousands of
applications for it.

I thought you said that people only bought the best?
In any case, comparing Windows to Autocad is like comparing gasoline to an
automobile. Windows is bought with the knowledge that it, by itslf, does
nothing but allow you to run the programs you want to run. A CAD system, on
the other hand is bought with the expectation that it will, by itslf, do
what you need it to do. How many people need something so specialized that
they need to buy a $3000.00 + program as a first stage building block? The
majority of users use Autocad with no more customization than changes to
desktop layout or a custom toolbar, all of which are available in most
quality CAD programs.

As to the original posters question, I use AutoCAD LT but it's out of
his price bracket

If he buys new, Turbocad is out of his price range too unless he buys one of
the lower capablity versios. Since he stated a desire to do 2D only, the
only thing he would be giving up would be customizabiliy. If he wants to
costomize, go with Pro.

and I think he'd get most of the function from

TurboCAD. He should make sure he gets a decent manual or book with it
or he'll likely be lost despite being a programmer.

There are a lot of good tutorials available (free). Complete courses if you
want to pay for it. They also have one of the most active and helpfull user
groups I have ever seen.

I don't know whether TurboCAD can import and/or export dxf but it
would be another bonus if it could.

It can, in addition to other usefull formats.

--

Frank

http://www.freebsd.org/

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens, A.K.A.
Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the suspense.
(Gaz, r.moto)