Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default Home Safe

On 8/9/2011 9:40 PM, Tom wrote:
Hi, all ..

Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to find a medium size, non-
electronic safe for storing documents, titles, family keepsakes,

cash, coins, gold nuggets (I wish), diamonds (I wish), that sort of
stuff. I don't need a five footer; no rifles or shotguns that I

need to store (I keep mine under the bed; no kids).

My present safe is a mechanical dial-turning thingy (Sentry) with a
special round key for the handle. The safe is bolted to the

concrete foundation. I'm happy with it, but it's too small.

I've looked around on the Web for quite a while, with not much success.
My research tells me that it's not hard to break into an

electronic safe, even for a novice with just a screwdriver and a piece of
wire.

The safe will be in a corner, so it will be hard to get to the back of it
without breaking through a plaster wall. So the

screwdriver/wire thing with an electronic safe may be a little more
difficult. But I just want a spin dial, old-fashioned safe.

I've worked in defense companies with classified info for many a year,
and the mechanical safe approach was good enough for the DoD.

Why not me?

Tom

Find an antique one, I got my 2 ton safe for free for moving it. Walls
are about 10" thick concrete and steel layers.