Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another wheel bearing question

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 15:14:59 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I took off my wheel bearings when I bought my boat, and repacked them. They
probably have 150 miles on them since that.

IF I JACK UP MY TRAILER AND JUST SPIN THE WHEEL, what should I feel? Should
there be ANY movement where you can take the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and
wiggle back and forth?

When I take the cap, key, and nut off, and put it back on, just how tight do
I put the nut? Should I tighten it at all with a large ChannelLock, or just
to where I can get the key in the next groove in the nut?

I'm going to take them off and have a look see, and just was wondering how
to correctly put them back on.

Steve

Ball or roller? Tapered Rollers should have just a touch of play.
Generally take the nut snug (zero clearance) and back off one flat.
Should JUST feel the play when wiggling the wheel.