Posted to alt.home.repair
Reno Reno is offline

Default OT Buying a new truck

Home Guy wrote in :

Does anyone know (or do any of these buying guides ever say) if when
negotiating for a new vehicle, if an offer to outright buy the vehicle
(check, bank draft, credit-card, etc) is seen by the dealership as
more (or less) desirable vs the typical way most people buy cars (long
term payment plan). ?

I mean, if you have the means (and inclination) to fork over the full
purchase price for a new vehicle, does that work in your favor when
negotiating the price, or would the dealer (or his financing company)
rather bleed you for $300 - $700 a month for 5 years?

I negotiated to have my purchase go through 100% on my credit card
when I bought my '2000 Chrysler 300m back in the fall of 1999. After
I signed the deal, they came back and said that they can't do it
because they didn't anticipate the Visa transaction cost of putting
such a large purchase through. I balked and said they signed the
deal, but eventually settled and met them half way on the transaction
cost. I got a ****-load of frequent-flyer miles because of that
purchase.

I bought my last 2 cars on Visa. Both were used but from a new car
dealer. The first time they said max $3000, so I started to walk, they
went to half and then to the full price. The second car they agreed to
Visa right away. You're right about the load of miles, we call then
points up here in Canada. Sure there are Visa transaction costs for them
but it is just part of the dickering. All the things they bring up may
be legit but the final cost to me is all that matters. I think they made
good money on both deals.

A couple of days ago I went with my Dad to look at new cars and we said
it would go on Visa and they both agreed but we didn't get to the nitty
gritty. It seems to be more comonplace now.