Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default optical knob encoder: HP/Agilent 33120A freq generator,tuning-knobfailure

whit3rd wrote:

On Monday, August 8, 2011 3:12:54 AM UTC-4, Winfield Hill wrote:
We have about 10 Agilent 33120A frequency-generator / synthesizers
in our lab, and a few other similar synthesizers. They feature a
convenient digital frequency and amplitude programming knob that's
based on optical encoders.

Since they use an optical 2-bit quadrature grey-code ...

But recently I've encountered two instruments with identical
tuning-knob failures...

In both cases the knob seems 'stuck"

There's two optointerruptors out-of-phase with a toothed wheel (or
somesuch, like in the old mice). Your symptom is of one blocked
or dim lamp.

His encoder is mechanical, as he stated later in the thread.

enough left over to pay them.