Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default History Lesson on Your Social Security Card

"Califbill" wrote in message
m...
wrote in message

On Jul 14, 10:57 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

But that would upend the idea that Social Security is *secure*.
Investment
in business is always a risk. Philosophically, I'm not in favor of adding
risk to the system. When you're ready to retire, it's too late to be
rolling
dice. To the degree that the government is involved with the real
economy,
my feeling is that their primary job is to encourage growth.

--
Ed Huntress

Mutual fund managers believe there is also a risk of not being
invested. That is the risk Social Security is now taking. It is not
invested and it is not providing any return. A diversified investment
is safer than one that is not diversified.

Dan

Do these mutual fund managers say what they think SS fund should be invested
in"

--
Ed Huntress

Reply:
The excess SS money is a cash cow for the Federal government, hiding even
higher deficits. My suggestion, is any SS / Medicare surplus be used to
buy down the national debt. Any buy down lowers the debt limit by that
much and the government can not spend the money as part of the general
fund.