Posted to alt.home.repair
harryagain harryagain is offline

Default Some items in refrigerator are freezing

"Ken" wrote in message ...
RogerT wrote:
Frigidaire Refrigerator/Top-Mount Freezer, Model Number FRT21P5A.

I got a call from a tenant who is saying that some items in the
refrigerator
are freezing up -- milk, vegetables, etc. Apparently, the freezer part is
working fine. However, she said if she turns the refrigerator temp
setting
down (from "colder" toward "cold"), things in the fridge do not get cold
enough.

She said this is not an urgent problem, but she thinks it has been
getting
worse over the past 6 months and she is concerned that maybe the
refrigerator is getting ready to fail. I am going to head over there in
day or two.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions of what I should look
for
or try while there? If it is not a simple fix or it needs a part
replaced
or something like that, I'll have an appliance repair person come out. I
don't actual refrigerator repairs since I don't know enough about them.
But, if there is something I can try adjusting or cleaning or whatever,
I'd
like to give that a try first.

Thanks.

The first thing I would do is defrost the refrigerator completely. It is
probably a frost free one, but there still could be a lot of ice build up
that is not being removed during the defrost cycle. Check to see that
water is flowing via the rubber tube to the pan where the defrost water
evaporates. If the tube is blocked, then the water will simply refreeze
after the cycle.

Next check to see if the fan that blows cold air from the freezer
compartment to the refrigerator compartment is working well. If there is
any noise when the fan runs or obstruction due to ice build up so that
cold air is not being sent to the refrigerator compartment, that could be
the problem.

Yes. Likely probems. Also check door seal is god & not letting humid air in
which freezes.
Also putting in lots of wet, unwrapped food can cause excessive icing..