Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham. Graham. is offline

Default OT - TV beginning to pack up

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Graham. writes

Line Output Transformer
LOPTX (pron. Loptex)
LOPTY
Line Tranny
But please, not flyback.
Flyback transformer if you must, but not flyback. Not unless you are a merkin

Strictly speaking, LOPTs and flybacks are two different things.

LOPTs refer to an older design where the line output stage was boosted
to about 9kV by a conventional wound transformer, and again to about
28kV by a device called a tripler to produce the final anode voltage.

There's a pic of this arrangement he

http://tinyurl.com/42sm8tg
http://tinyurl.com/3e3schw

in the first image, the green box-shaped object is the tripler, in the
second, it's blue.

In both cases, the line output transformer is the wound device next to
the tripler.

Flybacks refer to an all-in-one unit which eliminates the separate
first-stage transformer, such as this:

http://electronicrepairguide.com/fly...ansformer.html

I would have put it the other way round ie. all in one unit that eliminates the separate tripler,
but I still don't totally agree with distinction as to what constitutes a flyback transformer
although I concur that manufacturers can apply any label they chose for their components.

TV EHT circuitry has been described as flyback derived EHT since they stopped making
sets with separate oil filled mains energised EHT transformers in the 1950s

What I was objecting to was the word "flyback" used by itself like that, which is an American
infiltration to our language which we must all guard against. Right?

--
Graham. GTVR (and successors) 1971-1990

%Profound_observation%