Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.railway
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Welding cast iron

On Aug 2, 3:04*pm, Andy Breen wrote:
On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 07:00:20 -0700, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Jul 29, 4:15*pm, Andy Breen wrote:

The later multi-tubular version is generally called a "launch-type"
or gunboat boiler. These had some use for small ships, and for small
narrow

Or, in marine use, a "locomotive boiler".. :-)

You have to be careful with that - some naval "locomotive boilers" had
Belpaire fireboxes.

Examples? Genuinely - I'm interested, as I wasn't aware of that..

Early TBDs (torpedo boat destroyers) of the early 1890s. This is
difficult, as there were several building yards and a vast array of
boiler designs at this time, often obscure water-tube inventions.
There seems to be little written distinction between the launch-type
and the locomotive-type "locomotive" boilers - you have to look at the
builder's plans. Havock (Yarrows) was one with a dual-firedoor
Belpaire, I think Fervent, Charger, Dasher, Hasty & Zephyr might have
been too. Lyon's "The First Destroyers" is a very good read on the
development of turbine propulsion around this time, although it
doesn't go into as much detail on boilers as you or I might like.