Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default wheel bearing removal

On 2011-08-10, wrote:
I want to replace some wheel bearings on a traditional RWD
"live"axle. In the past I always took them to my local automotive

[ ... ]

my opinion. SO I surfed the web and was able to remove the retainer
by drilling partway into and using a chisel. The general consensus
was to beat the splined axle end on a board on concrete, holding onto
the backing plate and the bearing would come loose from the impact.
No such luck.

What I have done, in the distant past, was to use a bench
grinder (no angle grinders in those days) to grind a flat on the inner
race until I got *close* to the axle. (Say perhaps 1/8" or 0.100").

I then took a hefty chisel and hammer and drive the chisel edge
into the center of the flat, with the edge parallel to the axle.

This split it, after which it slid off fairly easily.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564