Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cheapest way to put up a corporate sign

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 13:20:22 -0500, Ignoramus1471

On 2011-08-08, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 10:25:36 -0500, Ignoramus1471
wrote:

What would be the cheapest way to make a sign (to be hung outside on a
wall) with a corporate name.

I do not want anything fancy, just the name of my corporation on a 2x8
sheet of whatever.

I would prefer it made "professionally", rather than do a DIY job.

Damnit all, anyway. I haven't bought/built my CNC router yet. (Funding
coming in roughly 2 weeks.)

'Course, you could do it on your CNC mill with a router bit and Corel
Draw, Ig. Feed it 2' at a time. If not Corel, then maybe Gimp under
Xnix.

The sign would need to be larger than my mill can handle.

Yabbut you can shift it X-wise and start cutting again. What are the
XYZ params? It looked like a monstrous SOB in your video, IIRC.

Let me ask a more direct question.

I have been loking at vinyl signs, and it looks like a typical 2x8
vinyl sign would cost me about $130.

If I buy a vinyl sign with grommets, or a vinyl mesh sign with
grommets, and fasten it to the wall, is that going to survive for a
few years under the hot Illinois sun and winds?

It'll look great for a year. It'll start looking ratty sometime after
that. Wood/MDO/sign foam (all painted) will look good for 3+ years,
from what info I've gathered so far. Shop around by phone. Some guys
might need jobs right now and might do it for not much more than the
banner guy wants.

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington