Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default I need some thin acetal washers....

Martin Eastburn top-posted:
[top-post repaired]

On 8/7/2011 7:18 PM, Rich Grise wrote:
DougC wrote:

Acetal is Delrin, basically.

Delrin machines like a dream, but I'd definitely rather machine it than
try to cut it with a die in a press. It wouldn't necessarily crack/split,
but the die wouldn't last for more than a few hundred, if it actually
cuts and doesn't just gorilla its way through the material.

Why not just try it, record the results, and report back? Some people
call that "science." :-)

Wonder if you could turn down a cylinder and then bore out the center -
then use a HSS cutoff tool to slice off washers.

Hum.

Oh, it's certainly feasible, but you'd wind up with more chips than
parts! =:-O

Cheers!
Rich