Posted to alt.home.repair
Square Peg[_2_] Square Peg[_2_] is offline

Default OT Are mormons a cult? continued.

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 19:44:24 -0500, "
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 11:17:43 -0700, Square Peg wrote:

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 11:19:43 -0500, "
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 08:48:42 -0700, Square Peg wrote:

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 08:50:47 -0500, Michael Dobony
wrote:

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 09:15:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"harryagain" wrote in message
Yep. A very peculiar one too. I thought they'd have shot this one Texas.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?pageOffset=&pageSize=&orderBy=relevDes c&searchPhrase=warren+jeffs&_channelshortname=on&_ channelshortname=on&_channelshortname=on&_channels hortname=on&_channelshortname=on&_channelshortname =on&_channelshortname=on&_channelshortname=on&_cha nnelshortname=on&_channelshortname=on&_channelshor tname=on&_channelshortname=on&button=Clear+all&_co ntenttype=on&button=Clear+all&dateupdated=&dateFro m=&dateTo=&_authornamef=on&button=Clear+all&_perso nnames=on&_personnames=on&_personnames=on&_personn ames=on&_personnames=on&_personnames=on&_personnam es=on&_personnames=on&button=Clear+all

I always wonder how this can happen in the 20th and 21st centuries. Sure,
the kids born into this are victims that think it is normal because they've
never seen anything else. But the older ones get into this stuff and they
have seen other parts of life in the world. Must be a "need for approval"
by someone and this guy gives it.

These children are more than exposed to this mindset, they are actively
trained to accept abuse as normal. And then they twist Scripture to endorse
their abuse, "reject me and my actions and you are rejecting and condemning
God!" They love to quote 1 Chronicles 16:22 and Psalms 105:15 "touch not
my anointed and do my prophet no harm." They also ignore plain teachings
and proper application. David refused to kill Saul and executed the man who
claimed to have killed him. On the other hand, Nathaniel rebuked David in
his sin with Bathsheba and Uriah. They misuse Scripture as a weapon to
destroy. This guy is a simple pervert with a complex abuse system.

These children will need lots of counseling and proper modeling. They will
need to be taught that they can say "NO!" and that any attempt to press on
is abuse and illegal and immoral and NOT a rejection of God. Quite the
opposite!

This case, along with People's Temple, Heaven's Gate, the Branch
Davidians, and many others, is just the sad extreme of a very common
phenomenon resulting from a basic human need for control and an
existential fear. We are basically powerless in the universe and we know
it. This is intolerable, so we concoct belief systems to soothe the
fear. Certain charismatic people (Jesus, Muhammad, Hitler, Castro,
Charles Manson, Jim Jones, Joseph Smith, etc.) are able to tap into this
need either consciously or instinctively.

It happens on a less extreme scale in politics (JFK, Reagan, Limbaugh,
Obama, Palin).

The only defense is critical thinking, something that is generally
unpopular -- probably because it bring back the uncertainty and touches
that visceral existential fear.

The followers of Rush Limbaugh actually pride themselves on being
"dittoheads".

You do know that "dittohead" doesn't mean that the person agrees with
everything RL says?

As I understand it, it was originally used to indicate concurrence with
whatever was just said, but since Limbaugh takes very few calls and has
very few guests (wonder why that is), callers were mostly dittoing what
*he* said. I never said they agreed with *everything* he said, but I bet
most do. Easier than having any independent thoughts.

You're wrong, but don't let that stop you.

No, I suppose you're just in the fear business.

Where was I peddling fear?

Again, right in the paragraph above. You use lies as a tactic, a common
leftist's tool.

Well, perhaps I am wrong about dittoheads, but I wasn't lying. I said
what I believe to be true, and still do. Perhaps you are projecting.
True believers are prone to stretch the truth to make their indefensible
positions less illogical and their contradictory doctrine less so.

And right here on this NG, we have the Stormin' Mormon proudly saying
that he has found peace and comfort in the absolute answers provided by
the Mormon Church and accusing those who question or are uncertain of
being uncomfortable and wishy washy. It's a powerful urge.

That doesn't make it any less true.

What "it"?

That SM (odd the way that works out), as well as many Christians, feel more at
peace after a conversion (or "acceptance").

No doubt. Druggies are more at peace when high. Lobotomies also had that
effect. See, that's a fiundamental problem. If tyou are looking to be at
peace, just turn off your mind. Asking questions, especially questions
with no or difficult answers, can be upsetting. I suggest you avoid
them.

CNN did an interview with some of the members of the FLDS. They were
adamant in their belief that Jeffs is a prophet. There were similar
interviews with members of other cults.

Critical thinking: use it or lose it.

...and you're not subject to the same emotions as normal humans. Figures.

And where did I say that?

You constantly tell us how much better a person, you are.

There you go again. Find one place where I said *I* was better than
someone else.