Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Difference in NiCad replacement batteries

Dave Platt wrote:
As I understand it, the problem with this approach is the question of
shutting off the charge when the battery is full. NiMH cells are less
tolerant of being overcharged than NiCd, and are best used with a
charger that has a somewhat more sensitive full-charge detector (e.g.
zero-delta-V and/or direct temperature sense, rather than negative-
delta-V as was often used with NiCd cells.

It's slightly more complicated, if you replace NiCad cells in a battery
pack with a temperature sensor, you have to replace the sensor too. NiMH
cells have a much lower "cook temperature" than NiCads.

The other night I was having trouble sleeping and read a very nice article
about modifying Motorola NiCad chargers to properly (and not over) charge
NiMH packs. Since it was late at night, I remember the main points and
that I read it, but not where. :-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.