Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Difference in NiCad replacement batteries

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:

You could easily get more than twice that capacity by using NiMH cells
or a pack thereof, but if the charge-control circuit in the shaver is
designed for NiCd it might not work all that well with NiMH (might
over- or under-charge the battery, shorten its life, etc.).

Probably not. The Norelco "charger" is probably little more than a resistor
in series with the power supply. A NiMH should have no trouble with that.

As I understand it, the problem with this approach is the question of
shutting off the charge when the battery is full. NiMH cells are less
tolerant of being overcharged than NiCd, and are best used with a
charger that has a somewhat more sensitive full-charge detector (e.g.
zero-delta-V and/or direct temperature sense, rather than negative-
delta-V as was often used with NiCd cells.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO