Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Cleaning white brick

On Sat, 6 Aug 2011 11:40:49 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 15:04:37 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

I want to get my house pressure washed and I am reading that I should
not because I have white brick. It has been pressure washed before.

Anyone care to chime in?

Depends on how the bricks were fired.

If they are truly white bricks they were never fired. If they are the
1960-70s white bricks, I recall they were referred to as "sand-lime" bricks,
a concrete type of brick, often deteriorating by now. My father had his
house built with them in 1967, and learned when some black mortar was acid
washed off them that they stained. Never acid wash them, if you pressure
wash them, keep the pressure low and use a wide angle nozzle. They can be
damaged very easily, especially at this age.

They are white brick. My parents built the house in 1970. My mother
called the brick "holiday hill stone" but googling it doesn't get hits
that look similar.

http://imgur.com/W7dj6

My mother complained when they finished the brick because the mortar
joints did not meet in the center. She was told the proper way was
not to center them.

I may talk my nephew into cleaning them for some spare cash.