Dan

Default How to infuriate your wife: Lesson 1

On Sat 21 Feb 2004 11:41:34p, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
. com:

Where you can get into trouble is having people order what THEY want.
Ugly stuff with ugly finishes and I need it by Saturday as it is for a
birthday party I'm going to. When that happens, you no longer have a
hobby, but a job.

No argument there. But I think, if I spend a lot of time thinking about it
while I'm watching that retirement date get closer, I can keep that to a
minimum. I've already got some experience telling people "This job can't be
done by then, at any price", and I can afford to eat my estimating mistakes
at first. I'll keep in mind that old Blacksmith's saying: "There's two ways
for a Smith to go out of business; the first is working cold iron and the
second's not charging enough."

And I'm watching the specialty shops around here. Already got two
possibilities for things that seem to be selling well and wouldn't take too
long to set up for batch production runs every now and then. I wouldn't
mind working a week or so every month to get the money to play around for
the rest of it. :-)

Dan