Posted to alt.home.repair
.[_20_] .[_20_] is offline

Default Stinky washing machine

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Nelly" wrote in message
I'm getting ready to move so am deciding whether or not to keep the w/d.
Although it's an old Kenmore I still kind of like it, and I'll end up
replacing it with an expensive front loader. I've tried full loads with
lots of bleach, later tried baking soda. Of course I wiped down as much
as I could easily access. Still the machine & clothes coming out of it
smell mildewed. (Can't remember if I tried vinegar yet or not.)
TIA for any suggestions,
Nelly

I'd take the cover off the front and snoop around inside. Most likely,
water and soap/softener go over the drum where it is not visible. Wash
the inside and you'll probably fix it.

I'd also point out that since the alternative is a new
front loader, that front loaders are known to have
even worse problems with smell. The problem
is bacteria/mold grows in the folds of the door
seal.

Friend bought a $2,000 LG and the manual says
to wipe and dry the door seal after each use.
Doesn't sound too cool to me.