Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Seeking a well education

wrote the following:
On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 17:41:30 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

Confess that I don't know a well from a hole in the ground, but since
I've been 1/2 owner of one for a couple of years I think I'd like to
begin to understand the thing. If you're having a particularly boring
day you're welcome to view pics:

http://members.cox.net/prestwich/well/7t.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/well/8t.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/well/9t.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/well/10t.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/well/12t.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/well/14t.jpg

I have no idea what any of that stuff is, other than the hose bibs. I
think my main questions at this point a

1. Does all this look reasonable and normal?

2. Do all well systems work more or less the same way, with a set of
standard components and sub-systems?

3. Does anyone know of a *good* book, video, or website that explains
wells well? I don't know enough to even ask many intelligent questions
yet, so I'm thinking such an intro would be helpful.

Further to this, I'm thinking that there couldn't be 1500 ft. of pipe
and a pump just hanging off the bottom of the well head cover. How would
I remove the cover to rework the electrical connections? I see the union
topside, but what sort of cover pass-through arrangement is there for
the pipe?

You better fix that broken off electrical box connection. Not only is
this an electrical hazzard and a means to lose your water, but also
bugs, rain, and dirt is getting into your well.

Isn't the rock a good enough support? :-)

You dont need to pull the pipes or remove the well cap to fix this.
shut off the power, open that electrical box, label where all the
wires go, and remove the wires from the screws. DO NOT LET THE WIRES
FALL INTO THE WELL COVER. You'll have to remove the other *feed*
wires and cable (housing) too. Then replace that short piece that
connects the box to the cap. I'd use solid galvanized steel pipe, not
that pot metal thing you have now. Put it all back together and
you're done.

Take photos of the inside of the box before you remove the wires, just
in case you're labels fall off the wires (it can happen).

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY