Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Seeking a well education

In article ,
wrote:

You better fix that broken off electrical box connection. Not only is
this an electrical hazzard and a means to lose your water, but also
bugs, rain, and dirt is getting into your well.

You dont need to pull the pipes or remove the well cap to fix this.
shut off the power, open that electrical box, label where all the
wires go, and remove the wires from the screws. DO NOT LET THE WIRES
FALL INTO THE WELL COVER. You'll have to remove the other *feed*
wires and cable (housing) too. Then replace that short piece that
connects the box to the cap. I'd use solid galvanized steel pipe, not
that pot metal thing you have now. Put it all back together and
you're done.

Take photos of the inside of the box before you remove the wires, just
in case you're labels fall off the wires (it can happen).

Several respondents advocated redoing the box when I first brought this
up, and I recognize the importance of it. One issue is that the threads
in the well head cover are stripped out. So I was hoping to be able to
remove that cover, plug that hole, and drill and tap for a new hole for
the wires. That's why I'm inquiring now as to how the pipe interfaces
with the cover.

For the time being I've just used a couple of stout wire ties to keep
the thing together so that dirt won't fall in the well and the wires
won't be chafed.