Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Neville Robert Neville is offline

Default Seeking a well education

Smitty Two wrote:

Further to this, I'm thinking that there couldn't be 1500 ft. of pipe
and a pump just hanging off the bottom of the well head cover. How would
I remove the cover to rework the electrical connections? I see the union
topside, but what sort of cover pass-through arrangement is there for
the pipe?

First off, you obviously live in an area where freezing isn't a concern.

You don't want to start mucking around without some basic understanding of
what's going on there, so asking questions is good. Working with a local well
guy would be far better.

The well pump is dangling, but not from the cover. There's usually a pin/hook
inside the well casing from which a chain is hung. If your well is really 1500
feet deep, it will likely mean using a which - I wouldn't want to raise or lower
that much pipe by hand and if you slip you have a real problem.

There shouldn't be any wire splices inside the well. It should be one continuous
power line to the pump. Furthermore, opening the cover means you need to
sanitize the well before you close it up, so it's not something to do on a whim.

In general, I'd be a little concerned about the overall workmanship. It isn't
customary to have the pump controllers and wiring just kind of hanging loose or
dangling around the well. The water lines should be below the frost line all the
way to the house and even if there's no danger of freezing, they should be
buried enough that they won't get damaged mechanically.

At a minimum, all the electrical stuff should be in a weather proof box or pump
house.