Posted to alt.home.repair
Home Guy Home Guy is offline

Default SLOWWWWW....

Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

do you have reproduction rights?

I have fair-use rights.

and they made no attempt to acquire the movie via an illegal act

Contravening a copyright is not an illegality. It is not a criminal
transgression.

You acquired it from someone who has no legal right to its
distribution

But I wasn't the one doing the distribution.

It is not physical property (also known as "real" property).

Of course it's physical property. It's on your hard drive and
that is real property.

Information is not property.

If I read a book, or listen to music, or watch a movie, are those things
now considered as property inside my head?

Copyright owners do not call the police to report a "theft" of
their "intellectual property" when I download their movie from
a file locker server. There is no "stolen property".

That's not strictly true. The warning at the beginning of most/all
DVDs makes it clear that the FBI consider such crimes reason for
their involvement

Only when there is a profit motive behind the copyright violation -
which almost always means that bootlegged copies of CD's or DVD's are
being made and sold. Otherwise, the FBI does not involve itself with
movie and music file-sharing on the internet by way of trying to
prosecute uploaders or downloaders.

(rest of latin garbage deleted)