Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Small engine repair advice

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 18:18:25 -0500, Zootal
wrote:

Jules Richardson wrote in
:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 23:06:27 -0400, clare wrote:
No issue with the gap - and as you and I both said - if it ain't
broke, don't fix it.

Yeah, small engines don't seem too picky about the gap I've always
found - too wide, and the spark tails off quickly (and is obviously
wrong), too close and the flywheel hits the magneto and trashes it,
but anything inbetween gives good results (always rotate the engine by
hand after changing it to test that it's clear).

cheers

Jules

I finished mowing the back yard today - it is a happy mower. If anything,
it runs better now than before, which doesn't really make much sense unless
the flywheel had already rotated just a degree or two...I didn't touch
anything else (knocks on wood...)...

Yes, The key and twist a bit and throw the timing off. It won't be
obvious at first glance. This why it is always best to change the key
and not use the old one. BTDT.