Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Gray water leachfield

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 11:34:38 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:02:27 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Utah.

Steve,

not to change the subject

From another thread you mentioned Evaporative (swamp) coolers for your
shipping containers. Same place for the brewery.

Why not use a squirrel cage fan? The one I salvaged from my old
furnace is a four speed. The HAVC guy told me it would only take a few
minutes to evacuate HOT air from my double garage. I'm going to put it
on a small dolly for mobility.

A squirrel cage fan on one end would draw plenty of heat out of the
container on the far end. A small hole / vent to move the heat out...
mounted near the roof on the end wall. Mounted inside.

\ back to subject

Do the math. There is no point of bringing in air that is anything less
than 80 degrees or thereabouts to make it feel "cool". The containers
absorb and radiate a lot of heat from their steel after being in direct
sunlight for 14 hours or so. A squirrel cage would simply move warm/hot air
around. I have had interior temperatures of 135 degrees, with outside temps
at 108.

We are finishing putting the trusses on. Lots of attachment points, plus a
superstructure in the middle that doubles as a hoist. When we deck it out,
it may still be hot enough to try the water idea thing, but I'm sure that is
the way I will go. Then an evaporative cooler for each container, vented to
outside.

I once had a 1400 sf workshop for my business. The AC unit could not cool
down all the steel in there without running 24/7. So, I got one of the roll
arounds. But then, taking inside humid air, and trying to evaporate water
with it isn't efficient, and made it as humid as Houston inside the shop.

Time and experimentation will tell. I'm going to insulate a room within the
container with some very good insulation, and put a window unit in there for
brew space. I only need to keep it at 75 for a week or so, and that can be
done with any small 110v. air conditioner, even the smallest. 640 CUBIC
feet at most.

Any practical way to shade the containers?
Speaking of squirrel cage fans, until my son picked this up for 5
bucks at a rummage sale, I didn't know how neat they are.
http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-655702-S...ref=pd_cp_hi_2

This little sucker really pushes some air. About 3 times as much as a
similar powered "normal" box fan.
He uses it for working on cars and I've been using it to dry the
basement after getting flooded.
Ther'e even better Lasko branded fan like this.

--Vic