Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small engine repair advice

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 19:26:08 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 22:00:31 -0400, wrote:

I was getting myself corrected -- meaning COIL contacts. I see a coil
there on his engine??!

You are just digging yourself deeper.

Okay. You tell me about _this_ GAP adjustment AT the flywheel.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/223968225/Ignition_coil_and_magneto_flywheel_used_for.jpg

(Ignition_coil_and_magneto_flywheel)

It very much resembles what the OP pictures showed.

This whole debate started when I mentioned adjusting the gap. I also
told the OP if it ain't broke don't worry. Clean up the rust and check
THIS gap _NEXT_ time.

I'm running out of fried green tomatoes.

No issue with the gap - and as you and I both said - if it ain't
broke, don't fix it. But you mentioned contacts. If you mean the
bround connections, if it ran before, they are OK - don't touch them.
Loosening the attachment screws, in most cases, means losening the
coil mounts - which can screw up the magnetic air-gap between the coil
and flywheel magnet - which we have pretty well established should not
be screwed around with if the engine was starting and running fine
before. I've seen too many cases where someone played with the
air-gap, without knowing EXACTLY what they were doing, and ended up
with the coil catching the magnet, damaging the flywheel, coil, or
both, within a short time after re-assebming the assembly.