Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gray water leachfield

On 31 Jul 2011 14:49:20 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
news
On 31 Jul 2011 11:51:01 GMT, Han wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in
m:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote

I was at a cloned box auto parts store a while back and saw a
notice posted about how the store was now accepting waste motor oil
for disposal. I asked a store employee about it and he handed a
huge sheaf of government and EPA documents that had to be filled
out in order for the store to accept my waste motor oil. I
remembered what happened to a large group of people who took their
old car batteries to a lead recycling company that went out of
business. The government took the records consisting of the
paperwork filled out by the customers of the defunct company who
thought they were doing a good thing for the environment and
demanded that those people pay for the cleanup of the hazardous
waste at the site of the closed company. I changed my mind about
taking my used motor oil to the auto parts store and found a
friendly manager at an oil change service who took my old oil
without any hassle.

TDD

I bought a house. Included was about 50 gallons of waste oil, 5
gal. buckets of roofing butyl, and assorted 5 gal. buckets of gook.
I took the oil to the box store that sells auto parts. Have to have
a receipt that says you bought 5 gal. of oil THERE in order to turn
in the 5 gal. of used oil. Called JiffyLube. No can do. Called
the landfill. They have an "amnesty" day ONCE A YEAR where they
will take anything no questions asked. The next one is this spring.

And they wonder why people take this crud and dump it in the desert.

Steve

You should have called the real estate agent who handled the sell.
That house was not delivered in the "broom clean" state it was
supposed to.

It should have been in the sales contract. The hazmat stuff should
have been identified, in particular.

That would have helped, but is not really necessary IMNSHO. Probably too
late now, but the real estate agent has an address, I bet ... I would
still use it, but then, I'm (luckily) not the OP.

That certainly depends on the jurisdiction. When we sold the previous house,
such things were enumerated in the sales contract. No big deal. Just $$.

Btw, here in Bergen county, NJ, the haz people collect at least
quarterly, so I would probably have waited for a collection date and
location.

In VT, they would collect at the dump (transfer station, really) quarterly but
household quantities of hazmat stuff could be dropped off at their offices
pretty much anytime, six days a week (there were odd hours of operation).
They actually had a pretty good system. One of the only things they did that
was worthwhile. We lived in NY before that. They had *no* means of getting
rid of any household waste, including appliances and mattresses, other than
dumping them on a country road.

It's even better here in AL, though. Just set it by the curb and it's gone on
Wednesday (appliances cost a couple of bucks).